Being your own boss is awesome. Not having to answer to anyone is a nice feeling when you are trying to live your life to the fullest. I think those of us who are our own bosses most definitely exude some things that point out the obvious, having a boss would be bad. Very Bad.
8 Signs You Were Meant To Be Your Own Boss
1) Control – It’s nothing to be ashamed of but bottom line you like to be the leader and in control. You like to call the shots. Your work is yours alone and you don’t need to run it by a co-worker or your boss. Your criticism will come from clients. It’s also about wanting to have control of your own life. As an entrepreneur you have a lot more control in a number of aspects as opposed to working for someone.
2) Rule breaker – Just face it, you don’t handle authority well. You don’t like being told what to do and you flat out just don’t love to follow rules. Having a boss would be terrible news for the both of you because when he tells you to take lunch at 11am and you tell him you had a late breakfast and want to go at 1pm, fireworks will soon ensue. You move to the beat of your own drum and you just enjoy having the freedom to make everyday decisions how you want them.
3) Income Desired – You want more money. No matter how high you get on the chain of command at your local plant, there is always a cap on what you can earn. Even the highest level position, regional supervisor, maxes out at $120,000 a year. Now, don’t get me wrong, that is good money, but only one person gets that and who’s to say it’s going to be you even if you do everything right? You see, it’s not your decision to make. As an entrepreneur, there is no cap. You earn it, you keep it.
4) Sleep – Lets just call it like it is, you and the alarm clock are bitter rivals. For years you have wanted to pulverize that thing with a hammer. You don’t like mornings and it’s important for your body to get an adequate amount of sleep each night in order to perform at your highest potential. You like to wake up when you get done sleeping. That’s kind of hard to do if you have to report to your J-O-B by 7am.
5) Passion – You want to do something your passionate about. As an entrepreneur, you have the freedom to choose something that involves your passion. I’m going to guess you aren’t super passionate about filing papers or cashing people out. Passion has the ability to do incredible things to a person’s life so it’s definitely awesome to be able to incorporate that passion into your career and work.
6) Disciplined – As an entrepreneur you have to be disciplined or you can end up with a bigger hole than you give dig out of. Discipline can apply to many different things, but having an all-around ability to try and stay disciplined in as many areas as possible is really important. Nobody is looking over your shoulder telling you that you’re slacking, it’s all on you. If you are disciplined it might mean you can find success as your own boss.
7) Improviser – No problem is insurmountable for you. You always seem to figure out a way to get the job done. Everyone faces road blocks. A majority of people may give up when they can’t figure something out, but not you. It may be out of the box thinking or a nontraditional way of doing something, but you will find a solution to whatever it is that may be in your way.
8) Big Dreams – While accomplishing your goals and achieving dreams doesn’t necessarily have to be done as your own boss, I do believe it’s the best way. As we’ve talked about, working for someone else most of the time places a cap on your abilities. If you have big dreams and want to accomplish a lot with your life, it may be time to walk away from your employment and start employing.
If you exude any of these eight signs it’s possible you were meant to be your own boss. If you possess all or most of them, you are definitely meant to be an entrepreneur. One thing is for sure, those of who do work for ourselves can be surely be defined as a special breed.